Sunday, October 21, 2012

Paula's Spanish Rice

Spanish rice is my definition of comfort food. I ate the box kind in college all the time, so I was stoked when I discovered I had a family recipe for it. Everything is better from scratch, anyway (except mac and cheese...give me the box, please!) The first time I made it, I did it on a Friday night after a long week. I ate two bowls and felt very full and happy with life. I'm not sure that story will effect your desire to make this dish. I just felt like telling it. This meal also falls under my sacred, special, "Wow, this makes so much I could live on this for a week; score!" category.


SPANISH RICE

1 lb. hamburger meat
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 1/2 c. water
1 T. butter
1 c. rice
2 T. Worcestershire
chili powder, to taste
Tabasco, to taste
Thyme, to taste
1 small can tomato sauce

Brown hamburger and onion, breaking up meat as you go. Add green pepper and cook 2-3 minutes. Add water, butter and rice. Add Worcestershire, Tabasco, thyme, chili powder and tomato sauce. (I just do a dash of each.) Bring to boil, then simmer until rice is cooked.



No comments:

Post a Comment