Sunday, September 2, 2012

Paula's Chicken and Macaroni

I don't remember Mother making this, but it was in her handwriting in her cookbook, so she must have made it before I came along. Anyway, it's a great, one-dish, ready in 20 minutes comfort dinner. You can play around with the veggies to your liking. My dad called it "Pasta Surprise" when I made it for him and Lei one night, which should probably have offended me but I actually found quite funny.

CHICKEN AND MACARONI

8 oz. elbow noodles
3 T. butter
1 small green bell pepper, finely chopped
1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
3 T. all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
2 c. milk
1 lg. can chunk chicken, drained
1 c. sharp cheddar cheese

Cook macaroni as package directs. Drain and keep warm. Melt butter over medium heat. Add chopped bell pepper and celery and cook until tender, stirring occasionally. Add flour, salt, and pepper; stir in until well-blended. Add milk gradually, stirring after each addition. Cook, stirring, until slightly thickened. Gently stir in chicken and cheese until cheese completely melts. Stir macaroni into mixture until well-blended.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment