Monday, August 27, 2012

Merle's Cheese Soup

I found this recipe in a very old Naval base cookbook made up of recipes from all the officers' wives, and I finally made it tonight! Delicious. I was feeling icky today and this soup really hit the spot.
I would call Granny a lot of things, including brave and graceful, but a Master Chef she was not. I think honestly she would have just rather been traveling or golfing than cooking. I can't blame her. But what she did make she made very well, according to my memories and those of others.
I talked to Gus tonight after making this, and he said he used to love it. So that's two good recommendations.
I also thought the recipe was so sweet because there was a note at the end that said:

"This is one of Whitney's favorites, and it takes only 30 minutes to prepare. Perfect for a Saturday lunch after a hard day on the golf course."

Without further adieu:

CHEESE SOUP

1 c. celery
1 c. carrots
3 beef bullion cubes
1 c. cold water
1/2 c. onion, diced
2 T. butter
2 T. flour
2 c. milk
1 c. Velveeta
1 c. chopped ham, optional (I used it because who says no to ham? I was HAWNGRY)

Chop celery and carrots very finely and cook in a small amount of water until it becomes mushy. Dissolve bullion in the cold water. Sauté onion in butter til brown; to that add flour and milk (stir stir stir). Add carrots/celery, bullion mixture, then cheese and ham right before serving. Stir to blend and heat through.

Done! I served it with focaccia bread. Very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment